Full Time (40h/w) – Limited for five years (permanent contract possible after tenure-like evaluation)
EUR 65,000* gross/year
IST Austria is a constantly growing international institute for conducting frontier research in mathematics, computer science, life sciences & physical sciences. We strive to recruit passionate professionals from across the world over all fields who strive to support our goal of excellent research. Located within a beautiful campus on the outskirts of Vienna, we offer multiple opportunities for personal growth in a stable working environment.
Staff Scientists at IST Austria pursue research projects together with professors, serving as collaborators with expertise normally not present within research groups. We are looking for a Staff Scientist with experience in nanofabrication and measurements of superconducting circuits for quantum technologies.
The staff scientist will be associated with the Nanofabrication facility, which provides technical support for research groups on campus. The staff scientist with experience in quantum physics and quantum technologies should have an active interest in the fabrication of superconducting circuits, low temperature physics and device measurements (DC, microwave).
• Develop recipes for novel superconducting circuit devices and participate in their characterization. Potential projects could relate to their integration with semiconductors, realization of magnetic field resilient resonators, loss mitigation with better designs, interfaces and materials and the development of flip chip technology.
• Guarantee a smooth operation of the electron beam lithography system
• Keep the fabrication knowledge in‐house and transfer this knowledge to new group members
• PhD in physics, applied physics, electrical engineering or material science. Preferably > 2 years post‐graduate experience in a demanding and high‐level research environment
• Expertise in electron beam lithography, ideally with the Raith EBPG system >1 year
• A successful research track record, preferably in one of the top groups of the field
• Excellent command of English
• Team player with outstanding communication skills
• Experience with low temperature DC and RF measurements
In addition, the following skills would be most welcome
• Experience with Python and other programming languages
Please submit your application online at
*This position comes with possible overpayment depending on education, qualification and work experience. IST Austria processes your personal data in accordance with the law. For more information, please refer to https://ist.ac.at/data-protection/