Full Job Title: Contract Technician - GreenBreed - Ref: CT/GB/AY/0619
Teagasc is seeking to recruit a motivated and skilled contract technician to work on an externally funded project, which aims to develop breeding programs for low environmental footprint in cattle and sheep.
The successful candidate will work in a multidisciplinary team and will be responsible for the collection of field experimental data from sheep flocks.
The successful candidate will be responsible for collection of measurements including sheep live weight, feed intake and gaseous emissions.
Candidates will have at least a level 6 degree in Agriculture, Biology, Science or a related discipline and will ideally have experience of general animal husbandry and field experiment techniques, with an ability to take responsibility, have excellent record keeping abilities and good ICT skills.
Training will be provided in the collection of all field data, however successful development of these skills will require enthusiasm and commitment from the candidate.
Main Duties and Responsibilities:
• Responsible for the flock management of the GreenBreed flock in Teagasc Athenry.
• Perform measurements of sheep live weight, feed intake and gaseous emissions on experimental and commercial sheep flocks.
• Liaise with other members of the team and organize farm visits for data collection.
• Collate all measurements into electronic files.
• Candidates must have a Level 6 Specific Purpose in Farm Administration and/or a Level 6 Advanced Cert in Agriculture or a related discipline.
• A Level 7 qualification in Agriculture or a related discipline would be a distinct advantage.
How to Apply
An application form for this position can be accessed on the Teagasc Website at http://www.teagasc.ie/careers.
Completed application forms should be TYPED, saved in PDF format and submitted by email to firstname.lastname@example.org no later than 12 noon on Wednesday 3rd July 2019.
Applications received after this time will not be considered.
Please state relevant reference code in all correspondence.
Teagasc is an equal opportunities employer. As part of Teagasc Gender and Diversity strategies, Teagasc welcomes a balanced pool of applicants. Canvassing will disqualify.