Job Title: Contract Research Officer – Protein Ingredients (Ref: CRO/PI/MP/0419) (Externally Funded Non Grant-in-Aid)
This scientist will have qualifications in Food/Dairy Science or related discipline.
The appointee will work as part of a team responsible for the development of specialised protein ingredients for the dairy beverage (including infant formula) sector, as part of a state funded initiative in Dairy processing in collaboration with industry.
The successful candidate should have an understanding of Dairy protein chemistry, with emphasis on denaturation/aggregation, and its effect on thermal stability during the processing of formulated beverages.
The person should be experienced in unit processes associated with thermal treatment of Dairy proteins that are used in the manufacture of infant formula and other fat filled powders.
Main Duties and Responsibilities:
• Develop protein ingredients with optimal rehydration properties for the dairy processing/infant formula sector.
• Conduct methodologies for stability testing of liquid and powdered fat filled/infant formulations.
• Design experiments where required and plan and conduct laboratory proof of concept scale experiments.
• Complete pilot plant trials.
• Perform laboratory experiments to determine the ionic environment in dairy protein/mineral systems used in dairy based formulations.
• Assist Teagasc in meeting the commitments of the Quality Customer Service charter and action plan.
• Actively participate in the annual business planning and Performance Management Development System (PMDS) processes.
• Candidates must have an honours Level 8 degree in food science/chemistry or a related discipline.
• A postgraduate degree and/or research experience in dairy processing/infant formula manufacture would be a distinct advantage.
How to Apply
An application form for this position can be accessed on the Teagasc Website at www.teagasc.ie/careers.
Completed application forms should be TYPED, saved in PDF format and submitted by email to firstname.lastname@example.org no later than 12 noon on Tuesday 7th May 2019.
Applications received after this time will not be considered.
Please state relevant reference code in all correspondence.
Teagasc is an equal opportunities employer. As part of Teagasc Gender and Diversity strategies, Teagasc welcomes a balanced pool of applicants. Canvassing will disqualify.