Full Job Title: Forage Breeding Technologist (Ref: FBT/OP/0419)
The successful candidate will be responsible for supporting and managing the forage breeding programme in the breeding of improved varieties of forage grass and clover.
This will include significant hands-on work in the field, glasshouse and laboratory plus the assignment, supervision, and management of technical, farm and casual staff to efficiently complete all tasks to the required standard in the correct order and in a timely manner.
Candidates must have a Level 8 qualification in agriculture, plant breeding, biology or a related discipline.
Candidates should have experience of general laboratory and field techniques, and knowledge of grass clover agronomy and evaluation.
Main Duties and Responsibilities:
• Assign, manage and supervise technical, farm and casual staff across the programme.
• Conduct and manage plant and plot establishment including trial design and layout.
• Conduct and manage seed production including nutrition, disease and pest control, crossing, seed harvest and cleaning.
• Conduct and manage field evaluations including nutrition, disease and pest control, measurements, assessments, cutting and laboratory analyses.
• Assume responsibility for data collection, record keeping and computer inputting.
• Manage and inventory the seed store.
• Candidates must have a Level 8 qualification in agriculture, plant breeding, biology or a related discipline.
• Full clean car driving licence.
• Post graduate qualification.
How to Apply:
An application form for this position can be accessed on the Teagasc Website at www.teagasc.ie/careers.
Completed application forms should be TYPED, saved in PDF format and submitted by email to email@example.com no later than 12 noon on Thursday 2nd May 2019.
Applications received after this time will not be considered.
Please state relevant reference code in all correspondence.
Teagasc is an equal opportunities employer. Canvassing will disqualify.
As part of Teagasc Gender and Diversity strategies, Teagasc welcomes a balanced pool of applicants.