The Pig Development Department at Teagasc, Moorepark was awarded funding from Enterprise Ireland (EI) to develop a probiotic for pigs in collaboration with Waterford Institute of Technology (WIT). Arising from this funding, this position is now available. The Research Officer will work on the Teagasc tasks in the project, which involve pig-feeding trials to evaluate safety and efficacy of a Bacillus probiotic. The selected candidate will also be involved in laboratory work, both at Moorepark and WIT, dissemination of findings and reporting to EI. The successful candidate will have a good publication record as well as strong analytical, interpersonal and communication skills. Relevant post-doctoral research experience, while not essential, is desirable.
MAIN DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Plan and write protocols for pig feeding trials.
- Prepare experimental license applications, ethical approval applications and annual returns.
- Manage and conduct pig feeding trials according to approved protocols.
- Collect sample collection (e.g. blood, faeces, intestinal samples) and associated laboratory analysis (e.g. microbiology, next-generation sequencing, histology, haematology).
- Investigate probiotic survival under typical feed manufacturing conditions and compatibility with other feed additives.
- Collect, manage and perform statistical analysis of research data.
- Prepare reports according to Teagasc and Enterprise Ireland requirements and peer review publications.
- Assist Teagasc in meeting the commitments of the Quality Customer Service charter and action plan.
- Actively participate in the annual business planning and Performance Management Development System (PMDS) processes.
- Fully co-operate with the provisions made for ensuring the health, safety and welfare of themselves, fellow staff and non-Teagasc staff and co-operate with management in enabling Teagasc to comply with legal obligations.
- This includes full compliance with the responsibilities outlined in the Safety Statement.
- Any other duties as may be assigned from time to time.
Candidates must have an honours Level 8 degree in Agricultural Science, Animal Science, Veterinary Medicine or a related discipline.
A postgraduate degree and/or research experience in Agricultural Science, Animal Science, Veterinary Medicine or a related discipline would be a distinct advantage.
HOW TO APPLY:
An application form for this position can be accessed on the Teagasc Website at www.teagasc.ie/careers.
Completed application forms should be TYPED, saved in PDF format and submitted by email to firstname.lastname@example.org no later than 12 noon on Monday 1st April 2019.
Applications received after this time will not be considered.
Please state relevant reference code in all correspondence.
Teagasc is an equal opportunities employer. Canvassing will disqualify.
part of Teagasc Gender and Diversity strategies, Teagasc welcomes a balanced pool of applicants.