The technician will work as part of a team based in the Biosciences Department located in Teagasc Food Research Centre, Moorepark, Fermoy, Co. Cork. Their principal responsibility will be investigating the influence of dairy-derived components on health while also assisting in maintaining the DNA extraction pipeline within the laboratory. They will also be required to engage with stakeholders throughout the project at regular team meetings and provide input into the final report.
Main Duties and Responsibilities:
• Assist in maintaining the DNA extraction and DNA library preparation pipeline within the laboratory.
• Assist in the upscaling of lab bench experiments to pilot plant scale.
• Health & Safety Coordinator duties or such other Health & Safety duties as may be assigned from time to time.
• Assist Teagasc in meeting the commitments of the Quality Customer Service charter and action plan.
• Actively participate in the annual business planning and Performance Management Development System (PMDS) processes.
• Fully co-operate with the provisions made for ensuring the health, safety and welfare of themselves, fellow staff and non-Teagasc staff and co-operate with management in enabling Teagasc to comply with legal obligations. This includes full compliance with the responsibilities outlined in the Safety Statement.
• Any other duties as may be assigned from time to time.
* This job specification is intended as a guide to the general range of duties and is intended to be neither definitive nor restrictive. It will be reviewed from time to time with the post holder.
• Candidates must have a Level 8 qualification in Microbiology, Biochemistry or a related discipline.
• People and resource management skills.
• A Level 9 qualification in Microbiology would be a distinct advantage.
• Basic laboratory skills.
Note: The ‘essential’ qualifications, knowledge, skills and behavioural competencies outlined above are ‘must-have’ which will be used in the selection process.
How to Apply
An application form for this position can be accessed on the Teagasc Website at https://www.teagasc.ie/careers
Completed application forms should be TYPED, saved in PDF format and submitted by email to firstname.lastname@example.org no later than 12 noon on Thursday October 25th 2018. Applications received after this time will not be considered.
Please state relevant reference code in all correspondence.
Teagasc is an equal opportunities employer. Canvassing will disqualify.