Teagasc SFI New Post-Doctoral Researcher (Level 2A) - Plasmafilm - (Ref. SFI/PF/AT/0218)
The successful candidate will undertake fundamental research activities investigating the efficacy of novel technological interventions for biofilms. The research scientist will investigate the influence of cold plasma, airborne acoustics and synergistic aspect of these on the cellular, structural and biomolecular changes induced in the biofilms. It is expected that the Plasmafilm will develop novel non-thermal acoustic-plasma based intervention strategies for eradication of biofilms and will lead to deeper insights into the cellular, chemical and structural behaviour of biofilms in response to applied plasma stresses.
Main Duties and Responsibilities:
• Coordinate research conducted on Biofilm eradication.
• Liaise with other members of the research team including PhD researchers in achieving project tasks.
• Elucidate fundamental understanding of biofilms and develop a comprehensive framework for the eradication of biofilms.
• Submit peer review publications for high impact journals and disseminate research findings at scientific and non-scientific events.
• Proactively engage in relevant formal and informal research-related training including: Research Ethics, Research Integrity, Research Management, Grant writing, Research Career Planning, Research Statistics, Research Data Management, Intellectual Property Rights and Commercialisation and Entrepreneurship.
• Assist Teagasc in meeting the commitments of the Quality Customer Service charter and action plan.
• Actively participate in the annual business planning and Performance Management Development System (PMDS) processes.
• Fully co-operate with the provisions made for ensuring the health, safety and welfare of themselves, fellow staff and non-Teagasc staff and co-operate with management in enabling Teagasc to comply with legal obligations. This includes full compliance with the responsibilities outlined in the Safety Statement.
• Any other duties as may be assigned from time to time
* This job specification is intended as a guide to the general range of duties and is intended to be neither definitive nor restrictive. It will be reviewed from time to time with the post holder.
• Candidates must have a PhD degree in Molecular microbiology, biotechnology, biomolecular sciences or a related discipline.
• Excellent laboratory skills, organisation skills, report writing and data analysis.
• Research experience in the area of plasma and/or biofilms would be a distinct advantage.
• Proven record of scientific communications.
Note: The ‘essential’ qualifications, knowledge, skills and behavioural competencies outlined above are ‘must-have’ which will be used in the selection process.
How to Apply
Candidates can access a Fellowship Programme Application form for this post on the Teagasc website at https://www.teagasc.ie/about/opportunities/post-doctoral-opportunities/.
Completed application forms should be TYPED, saved in PDF format and submitted by email to firstname.lastname@example.org no later than 12 midnight on Monday 26th February 2018.
Please state relevant reference code in all correspondence.
Teagasc is an equal opportunities employer. Canvassing will disqualify.