Tenure Track Assistant Professor Biomolecular X-ray Crystallography (1.0 fte)
Vacancy number 216352
The Groningen Biomolecular Sciences and Biotechnology Institute at the University of Groningen provides an excellent environment for top-notch research in the field of biomolecular sciences. Twelve vibrant research groups with strong roots in biophysics, biochemistry & molecular biology, cell biology, chemistry, computational biology, microbiology or genetics are organized in two focal areas: 'Molecular Mechanisms of Biological Processes' and 'Physiology and Systems Biology'.
The Groningen Biomolecular Sciences and Biotechnology Institute seeks outstanding candidates for a position in X-ray crystallography, which can be filled in at the level of assistant (tenure track) professor. The envisioned professor will integrate the study of structure and dynamics of complex macromolecular ensembles such as protein-nucleic acid complexes, integral membrane proteins, or multi-domain macromolecular machineries. The candidate is expected to include in his/her work the new technologies to experimentally obtain time-resolved (dynamical) information, for instance by serial crystallography, at modern synchrotrons and free electron lasers.
The candidate meets the following qualifications:
- doctorate in a field firmly associated with structural biology and X-ray crystallography, possibly complemented with expertise adjacent to structural biology fields such as electron microscopy and molecular dynamics
- strong interest and expertise in solving challenging biological topics
- excellent research qualities, as evidenced by a publication record in international peer-reviewed journals and renowned conferences, and a relevant international network
- is at the level of tenure-track assistant professor: a proven international experience as postdoc (min. 2 years) at a foreign university or a research institute (industrial experience can partially compensate for this requirement)
- potentially an excellent teacher who can motivate students of different disciplines and has affinity for teaching and is willing to fulfil the requirements for the University Teaching Qualification
- team player with excellent communicative and organisational skills/li>
- excellent command of the English language/li>
- willing to learn the Dutch language./li>
Conditions of employment
The University of Groningen offers a salary dependent on qualifications and work experience from € 3,427 (salary scale 11 Dutch Universities) up to a maximum of € 5,330 (scale 12) gross per month for a fulltime position. In addition to the primary salary the University offers 8% holiday allowance and an end-of-year bonus of 8.3%.
The appointment will be initially for a maximum of 6 years at the level of tenure track assistant professor. After 5 years there will be an assessment of performance based on established criteria.
If the outcome of the assessment is positive, the assistant professor will be promoted to associate professor with tenure. There will be another assessment at the end of a further 4-7 years period for the promotion to full professor.
The University of Groningen provides career services for partners of new faculty members moving to Groningen.
The University of Groningen has adopted an active policy to increase the number of female scientists across all disciplines of the university. Therefore, female candidates are especially encouraged to apply.
Additional information about the university and the research institutes:
You may apply for this position until 31 January / before 1 February 2017 Dutch local time by means of the application form, see: http://www.rug.nl/about-us/work-with-us/job-opportunities/overview?details=00347-02S00059JP
Interested candidates are invited to submit a complete application including:
Unsolicited marketing is not appreciated.
- a letter of motivation
- a curriculum vitae, including a list of publications
- a list of five self selected 'best papers'
- a statement about teaching goals and experience and a description of the scientific interests and plans
- the names of three references with title and contact information.
For information you can contact:
Prof. B. Poolman, Director of GBB, +31 50 3634190, email@example.com (please do not use for applications)
Description of the position: http://www.rug.nl/fwn/organization/vacatures/vacatures/structuurrapporten/
Promotion conditions defined in the Career Paths in Science: http://www.rug.nl/fwn/careerpathsinscience
Standard salary levels according to Union of Dutch Universities (VSNU): http://www.vsnu.nl